Much of today's world is so determined to have the "look" that tells everyone around them that they are doing well in their lives, whether personnal or public. You see this in many peoples lives, and even in politicians (until reporters dig up grub from their pasts), it's everywhere if you look. The "perfect" family, the American Dream - you see? Do I have the best the store offers...to look like I really have things together?? etc.
No one wants people to think that they aren't doing their job, either being the " ideal Proverbs wife/mother" , godly husband/father, child, or maybe in their financial situations. It doesn't matter what the situation, people, unless they are cronic complainers, don't want the "truth" to show through.
What is true is that everyone, yes I said EVERYONE, everyone has the same trials that the Bible talks about. They may be in different area, because God is training everyone in a different way according to where their faith lies, but everyone experiences trials that fit their families.
My Mother wrote today:
A good understanding of the relationship between faith and hope seems to have little relevance when all is bright and sunny in our lives, but let sorrow, disappointment, illness or tragedy strike, an understanding of hope becomes so that we won’t stumble during hard times.
And hard times will come. ...
...Paul describes it as running a race. The runner runs past obstacles in the race by focusing not on the pitfalls and the pain in his path, but rather on the finish line ahead. He is determined to finish the race therefore he keeps on going, step by step, until he crosses the finish line. Likewise, the Christian also has a goal, the hope of eternal life. We hope in the resurrection and the new body we will receive. We hope in Jesus’ return and the restoration of order in the world. We hope therefore we walk, step by step, past pitfalls and disappointments of our present life to reach the eternal finish line. We choose to keep on keeping on, because we believe today’s pain is temporary while heaven is forever.So when bad times come, look forward in hope and keep walking. Don’t shut down. Don’t give up. Keep your eye determinedly trained on the goal and trust God to get you there, step by step. Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
How interesting. In contrast, we all are growing each day and learning things that are needed in life - whether you are married or single. In a marriage, there are many things you learn, you need to learn how to serve & honor your spouse in a Godly manner, ....and by the time you die, you normally know how your spouse thinks in each situation - or so I'm told! :) Our relationship is a good and fun one. This doesn't mean that we haven't had our times of trial and learning- and it doesn't mean that we don't disagree on things, it's just that we have worked and learned over the years to make ourselves more accountable to how God wants us to resolve issues. Wow! It sounds like I've been married FOREVER! I am not a genius and I am still in God's hands as I learn EVERY day. I have had good role models, and I think that we, married or single, should be role models, not of "the perfect" life (which no one alive has) but of realistic goals and values and attitudes. Learning is a HUGE point of our lives. How we make our household run is totally our choice of attitude and learning, yet remembering that nobody is perfect.
Portraying the "perfect" life sounds like vanity in a way because it means that we are beyond the learning stage of life. I think that our whole lives are the "learning" stage, since you are always getting older, different things come up that you have to learn how to deal with. They may not always be what we think is normal, but God knows exactly where each of us needs to learn.
This is the end of my "book" for today. I was just rambling thoughts, more for myself than anything. It is fun to read my thoughts and see if I agree later....
✟Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139:23-24
About Us
- ♥ Craig & Jessica ♥
- We have been happily married for 19 wonderful years. God has blessed us richly with 2 daughters and a son. We are followers of Jesus Christ, and strive to follow Him faithfully! We believe the Bible to be the absolute truth!! We are a home school family who look to honor God in every part of our daily lives! Remember to live with a grateful attitude! When you start to complain or have a negative attitude...remember to praise God for Who HE is and the GREAT things HE has done!
4 comments:
Wow Jess,
What an encouragement this post is to me! One thing I really appreciate in friends is HONESTY about their lives. If someone portrays an impossible standard that others are comparing themselves to, everything that we do in our lives or trials that happen to us can make a person feel isolated and that you are doing something wrong!
God has really been showing me that His grace, His example is what is really important! I finally feel free of the pressure to meet others' expectations, and instead follow Jesus' example for how I should live my life. I honestly hope that I can be an encouragement to others by not hiding my problems, but showing how one can persevere through them, fixed on the goal!
Thnak for your insights Jess!
I think that it is very important to have those role models, and you are one of mine, Jess! You're definitely NOT old by any means, it's just that you are such a great example of being content. No matter what happens, you always seem to be content. This is something that I'm working on. Honestly, I've never really thought that I needed the best of everything, but I think that we all try to an extent to present ourselves in the best way. Sometimes certain people in life bring that out in me. It's like you just want to measure up. Hmmm... very interesting thoughts. Maybe if everyone revealed more about who they really are, it would be easier to see that we're really not that different. We do have faults, sometimes the house is messy, sometimes we're really at a loss for what to do. An interesting concept, and one that I'm going to work on, being more real to those around me. Love you!
I completely agree with Karen and AmyNicole. Today's blog was great and right on point. I love you. You encourage me every day! Mother
I see you wrote a really long article, which I promise I will read. However, I did jump down to your conclusion in hopes to save some time (since it is 11PM). "Yes, I am strange" Hmmm, a conclusion about yourself that really captures the imagination. Now I really want to read your blog!
Post a Comment